[Bldg-sim] LEED modeling for Appendix G-Air to Air heat pump withauxiliary heat

Andrew Craig AndrewC at InterfaceEng.Com
Wed Jan 5 15:52:34 PST 2011

David---

This is an issue we've tried to resolve as well as it doesn't appear to be explicitly addressed in 90.1.  To complicate issues, it is hard to find this data from many manufacturers.   As a result we have applied standard practice to the baseline model which says that a typical heat pump can operate to about 5°F (-15°C) before its COP is equivalent to just electric resistance heating.  So if you are using eQUEST, you can set the Maximum HP Supp Temp to 40°F and the Minimum HP Temp to 5°F and the heat pump will ramp down between the two set points.  There is a pretty informative article provided by Natural Resources Canada that details out some of these parameters (http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/publications/infosource/pub/home/heating-heat-pump/asheatpumps.cfm)

Regards,

Andrew Craig EIT, LEED AP
Mech Proj Designer

INTERFACE ENGINEERING