[Bldg-sim] Do Energy Codes apply to replacing HVAC equipment?

Varkie C Thomas thomasv at iit.edu
Fri Jan 28 14:24:58 PST 2011

Thanks for all the replies.  I should have done my homework before asking the question.  ASHRAE Std90 is clear on this topic but with the Minnesota Energy Code you have interpret �remodeled elements� to include everything besides the structure

Minnesota Energy Code Chapter 7676 � All Buildings except low-rise residential
Application:
2. New & remodeled elements of buildings.  This Chapter applies to all new and remodeled elements of commercial and all other buildings.
3. Existing Buildings.  Additions, alterations and repairs to existing buildings or structures must comply with part 7676.1400.

ASHRAE Std90-2004
4.1.1.5 Changes in Space Conditioning.  Whenever unconditioned and semi-heated spaces are converted to conditioned spaces, such conditioned spaces shall be brought into compliance with all the applicable requirements of this standard that would apply to the building envelope, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, service water heating, power, lighting, and other systems and equipment of the space as if the building were new.

I would like to have your views and opinions on Articles 1 and 2 (open website http://bepan.info  click on tab Articles at the top and then the articles to open the file.
 Article-1 Architectural Design and the Perimeter Zone.
Article-2 Mechanical Design and Percent Energy Savings
The website contains the teaching notes and examples of building energy use that I used for graduate courses and advising doctoral candidates.  I put them on a website, before throwing it all away, in case it might useful to others.  The objectives are in the Introduction.

Varkie