[Bldg-sim] Suggestions for model reviews

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Jul 18 09:36:42 PDT 2011

Recently, I've had an odd string of personal contacts and strangers
alike confiding with me and demonstrating their frustrations over energy
model reviews.  As an outside-party, it's actually largely entertaining
to hear, and puts a few things in perspective.  We are all human, and we
all share common emotions when put under the spotlight, but how we put
those feelings to action makes all the difference between an
easy/productive review process and a train wreck...

I've had the pleasure of treading both paths, and I thought it might be
helpful for modelers of all skill/experience levels to share a few tips
I've developed to manage the stress-level in your energy model reviews.
A few reviewers out there might also benefit to turn this advice around
and apply it to their practices as well:

1.       Do not assume your reviewer knows less than you.

a.       Recognize that stuff gets lost in translation - energy modeling
minutiae are rarely easy to communicate in text format.

b.      It's human to feel annoyed when your work is questioned, but
practice patience.  Odds are you and/or your reviewer are going to learn
something as a result.

c.       If you ever catch yourself thinking/responding in a dismissive
or condescending fashion, stop.  Your heart is in the wrong place
(however right you might be) and you're missing the point of an
objective review.  Take a breather!

2.       Do not assume your reviewer knows more than you, either.

a.       Do not be afraid to challenge or question a query, but prepare
and present a solid case for any contrary position.

b.      It is very easy to run yourself in circles trying to
explain/justify yourself when it isn't really necessary.

c.       Reviewers can and should make it plain when an in-depth
explanation is required.

3.       Be prepared to change your mind!  For better or for worse,
reviews are ultimately beneficial to all parties involved, because they
provide an excellent opportunity to learn a thing or two.  Allow your
personal expertise to continually evolve and incorporate, or at least
recognize, others' perspectives and practices.  They may serve you well
personally in the future!

4.       Once in a while, you may have to work with an individual who is
truly stubborn, unreasonable and is not willing to participate in any
objective discussion.  If a review should fail to "close out" over such
behavior, the best you can hope for is to document communications so you
can later make apparent in hindsight that you were proactive, and
pulling your weight to move the process forward.

If anyone has similar guiding principles or tips to share (from either
side of the reviewing fence), I think it would be much appreciated =)!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers