[Bldg-sim] Fwd: insulation film on windows in EnergyPlus

Paul Carey paul at zed-uk.com
Tue Jul 12 02:27:22 PDT 2011

Jeong, Marcus, et al

That does of course assume you can get the properties of the window film from the manufacturer, which for new films can be easier said than done. The other issue is that many providers of the product ( not necessarily the manufacturers here) provide information for the film having been tested applied to a clear float glass and sometimes even for entire units, so it can be sometimes difficult to get the actual performance data of the film.

Shading coefficient is a quick way of including shades, etc in some other programs still use rather than the way EnergyPlus takes everything back to first principles calculations. Could still be useful if you are looking at say "living wall" features for example without having to go into the complexity of using a "shading" block or surface with a scheduled transmissivity.

Regards
Paul

Sent from my HTC

Dr Paul Carey