[Bldg-sim] Snow melt (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Fri Jul 22 13:30:05 PDT 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Modelers.

One of my projects has server rooms which combined produce 143 MBH (more heat
than some home furnaces) and the servers run all the time.
I am designing a ground source heat pump system for the building.  The energy
model shows that the geothermal well field is unbalanced by 522,500,000 btu.
I'm plan on using a snow melt system to get rid of the extra heat. (Snow melt
is a nice by product, the goal is to balance the well field's annual load.)

Has anyone designed this kind of system?
I'm not really sure how to model it?
I'm foggy on how to control it so I get rid of just the right amount of heat.
Has anyone designed this kind of system?

It is fun to get to design energy efficient systems and coming up with new
ideas, but it is hard to do research on them.  (I know snow melt isn't new,
geothermal isn't new, computer room cooling isn't new, but I haven't found
any articles tying the three together.)

John Eurek PE, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer,
US Army Corps of Engineers