[Bldg-sim] Modelling of ceiling fan

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Jul 27 11:48:27 PDT 2011

I think this level of detail in modeling is unnecessary. In fact, I don't think there's
need for any enhancements to the thermal modeling
of the building to assess the comfort benefits of ceiling fans.   Ceiling fans do not
change the thermal conditions of the space (except for
a little added heat generated by the fan motor).  It provides comfort through air motion
experienced by the occupants.   The improved
comfort can be quantified explicitly using Fanger's equation,  or implicitly if you
calculate an equivalent temperature to that with still air.

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D
Moraga CA 94556