[Bldg-sim] ventilation only & LEED

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Jun 1 07:33:49 PDT 2011

Hi Christian,

A LEED reviewer brought up this issue for a heated/ventilated-only
garage space recently.  Owner did not want a cooling system beyond
ventilation, and one was not designed.  Ultimately, our reviewer cited
TG3.1.1.b / G3.1.10 directly, and I conceded to model baseline-esque
cooling systems in both models.

I'm not sure section 2.2 is a great defense as it states the standard
doesn't apply to *envelopes* without a heating/cooling system... not
ventilation systems (2.2.b.).  A better defense is if your warehouse is
by 90.1 glossary terms an unconditioned space, by virtue of not meeting
any of the three conditioned space definitions.  In that case, I think
you could flatly reject TG3.1.1.b as "not applicable" if it were brought
up.  In our garage space above, this wasn't an option as it was
definitely a heated space (see glossary for underlined terms).

I'd agree modeling both models with ventilation only is the intuitive
thing to do in the context of a validation (LEED) model.  The intent of
this language however, if I'm not mistaken, is to discourage/punish
design decisions to omit heating and/or cooling systems entirely to save
energy.  Never mind that's actually a very effective strategy, under the
right circumstances and in moderation...  I've got some contrarian
opinions in this department, so I'll keep my mouth shut =).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers