[Bldg-sim] Cooling Load in EnergyPlus

Fri Mar 4 15:52:52 PST 2011

Hi Karen,
Same here, I always use LS-C when I use eQuest. Just adding the
ventilaton load, then you will have the peak load. Its always fun to
compare this number with what the mechanical engineer has.
I said earlier, in EnergyPlus it is not nicely formated like LS-C. It
does not mean you cannot have it. You can force EPlus to show the
numbers. The internal gains are the easy ones, the windows are also
relatively easy, the last pieces are the opaque "conduction" and the
ventilation load. Which is not difficult.

The problem is what peak to report? You will have the peak of the total
gains, which will happen at a different timestep then the peak of the
cooling load. And these two, in turn is different with the zone sizing
report.

I personally use the zone sizing reports as the peak loads, and I will
get all the details by running the designday run with schedules
consistent with the design day schedule.

Hope this helps,

Ery

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Karen Walkerman <kwalkerman at gmail.com