[Bldg-sim] Impact of change in Thermostat Set-point on energyconsumption

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Mar 8 08:47:54 PST 2011

Hi Vaibhav,

I'd like to offer a few cautions:

"All important inputs" implies there is a category of inputs which are
"not important" in both eQuest and E+.  I don't take any issue with the
notion, but unless your building(s) involve systems striking at either
engine's fundamental limitations, any major differences in your models'
reported behavior almost assuredly stems from such inputs that you have
not made consistent (i.e. the defaults).

You might want to re-characterize your query as trying to:

1. First, determine which set of "not important" defaults (eQuest or E+)
is doing a better job of matching existing research applicable to your
project.  Then,

2. Determine the effects of varying thermostat setpoints.

If that's correct, then you should be describing your modeled
building(s) further to find appropriate research to reference/validate.
If it's a series of residential homes, it won't help you much to find
research exploring thermostat settings for industrial manufacturing
facilities, for example.

It would probably also be worthwhile to specify whether you're looking
for thermostat research based on "real-world" measurements/data and/or
based on predictive models, based on your personal intents.

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers