[Bldg-sim] pro-rating fan power to supply/return fans per 90.1-2007?

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Mar 16 13:22:41 PDT 2011

James,

I do appreciate the heads up - I've been reading the ongoing discussion
with interest!

In the particular case I referenced, it didn't seem a big deal to me at
the time as to my understanding my baseline supply and return fans were
operating in tandem, but as I think it through now, I see this might
skew the results somewhat with regard to fan energies in the airstreams.

This has got me wondering:  What, if anything, does 90.1 or similar have
to say regarding fan heat in the baseline airstreams?

I've developed a practice in eQuest of intentionally specifying baseline
fan motors as outside the airstreams.  I've done this specifically to
not have their heat incident on the airstreams, because the procedure I
follow for calculating baseline efficiencies (backing out the calculated
fan energy, Pfan, from the prescribed efficiencies), can become a
potentially cumbersome/iterative process otherwise.  For example, a
simulated baseline sizing run gives an airflow/capacity, from which I
calculate Pfan, which once entered and simulated affects the calculated
capacity, which affects the airflow, so I have to recalculate Pfan...
and so forth until the reported figures match my calculations.  For one
system this is cake, but when I've got a bunch of baseline systems it's
quite a pain.

I recognize some others follow a baseline efficiency procedure that
don't involve the Pfan for baseline heating/cooling efficiency
calculations, for whom baseline fan heat energy is a moot concern, but
for the moment that's really another can of worms I'd rather not open...
I'd specifically like to hear if anyone knows of what guidance is or
isn't out there for whether and  to what extent baseline fan heat should
be incident on baseline airstreams.

Thanks again to everyone for providing such continuously supportive and
productive discussions - it makes me proud to be a part of this
community!

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER