[Bldg-sim] Autocad LT clone from Dassault

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sun Mar 20 05:40:13 PDT 2011

Hi!

Sorry for cross-posting, but this, being a reply to a message on the
building-simulation list, may be of interest for subscribers of the
general cad-linux-list, too.

Draftsight works nicely, the only pitfall right now I have experienced
is that the Linux beta is currently available only as a 32bit binary.
Users may not be aware that they can use 32bit software on 64bit Linux
installations, as most package managers will cancel the installation
with a warning. I forced installation on my Ubuntu amd64 as such:

sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i DraftSight.deb

At the first try, this gave me warnings about missing dependencies,
which could be solved by the standard package installation tools in
Ubuntu. Than, the above command installed the DraftSight (32bit-)package
from the Website, which is perfectly useful for people working on 2d
drawings. Export of SVG makes it easy to transfer drawings into e.g.
layout tools, and a PDF export options allows quick generation of
documents for review by non-CAD folks.

Cheers, Lars.