[Bldg-sim] Difference in chiller energy for VAV and CAV system

Aaron Powers caaronpowers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:41:03 PDT 2011

Bill, you're right about that.  A central CAV system with reheat is limited
by the most loaded zone.  My statements before were simply for one air path
and one zone, which is probably rare.  The degree to which this hurts a CAV
system depends on the diversity of the loads.  If all zone loads remain
similar, then the supply air temperature off the CAV coils will start to
float upwards at reduced loads, and you'll see an increased chilled water
delta-T.

As for the increased chiller efficiency, here's my thinking.  At a constant
load with no mixing valves, an increased delta T across the cooling coils
allows for a lower gpm.  Slowing the water flow rate and raising the
entering water temperature increases the effectiveness of the evaporator
barrel (i.e. the enthalpy of the refrigerant now has a greater ability to
approach the enthalpy of the higher enthalpy water).  Running the compressor
as before would over-cool the water.  To maintain a constant chilled water
supply temperature, the mass flow of the refrigerant must be reduced.
Depending on the type of compressor unloading mechanism, this should produce
some energy savings.

This is my understanding simply based on theory, and I'm sure it's much more
complicated in reality.  Again, I know that DOE2 does not account for
varying inlet conditions to the chiller evaporator barrel, but I'm not sure
about ePlus.

Aaron

--
Sent from my DynaTAC 8000x