[Bldg-sim] Walk-in Coolers/Freezers

kcreamer at nc.rr.com kcreamer at nc.rr.com
Mon May 23 19:19:35 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Is it possible to use EnergyPlus to model a walk-in cooler or freezer?  I have tried but regardless of the temperature setpoint I choose for the freezer, the modeled temperature does not want to drop below about 42 F.

Also, has anyone made a model of a cooler that accurately estimates electricity loads?  I was able to model a cooler with a 45 F setpoint but I was way under the electricity consumption estimates I found for coolers/freezers on the web.  I think my problem was the large amount of electrical usage for non-compressor loads – defrost cycle, evaporator fan, condenser fan, etc.

Kurt Creamer
Apex, NC