[Bldg-sim] Performance Rating System - Code Compliance Requirements for small medical facility

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Mon May 2 12:08:51 PDT 2011

Patrick,
For a code baseline modeling protocol you have at least four choices:

1)      ASHRAE 90.1-2007 Performance Rating Method (PRM) in Appendix G

2)      ASHRAE 90.1-2007 Energy Cost Budget Method (ECB) in Ch. 11.

3)      2009 International Energy Conservation Code Section 506

4)      State energy code such as California's Title 24
Arguably the PRM is the only one written specifically for the purpose of determining how much better a design performs than the standard.
The AIA Guidelines for Design and Construction of Health Care Facilities is an incredibly important reference, especially the table of design flow and minimum flow criteria.
Good luck,

Paul Riemer, PE, LEED AP
DUNHAM