[Bldg-sim] Simulating Curtain Wall in Energy Plus.

Francisco Massucci massucci at gmail.com
Tue May 10 04:21:42 PDT 2011

Srishti,

  Try to found a topic named "Double Facades" on bldg-sim list. I asked the
same question some time ago.  The major problem in this cases ,is the heat
loss by convection inside de facade, because otherwise it will percfectly
work as a thin zone.

 I found something on google, someone asking for an energyplus's developer:

*I'm simulating an office with a double skin façade using the "exterior
vented natural cavity."  *
*The façade is naturally ventilated and has Venetian blinds in the gap. The
blinds are exposed to solar *
*radiation and, during the day, they can reach very high temperatures which
may affect the temperature of the air in the gap and/or the performance of
the glass façade. Does EnergyPlus take into *
*account these two effects? *
*Answer *
*The exterior vented natural cavity model is for *opaque* surfaces only and
does not apply to glazing *
*systems. There is a model for blinds in the window gap that takes those two
things into account, but I *
*am not sure if it works together with the air flow window model.*
*
*
Please let me know if you do some progress. I'm from Brazil and our climate
conditions are very similar.

Good Luck,

Francisco Massucci