[Bldg-sim] Leaf area index values for roof vegetation

Tabares Velasco, Paulo Cesar Paulo.Tabares at nrel.gov
Wed May 11 11:55:46 PDT 2011

Hi Cheney,

Happy to hear you also worked on this area. We were working on green roofs, but perhaps not same research methodology/ scope. I am not doing green roof at this time but I did it couple of years ago while I was doing my PhD at PennState working under supervision of Dr. Jelena Srebric and did all my experimental work inside an full-scale environmental chamber. In that way I was able to control environmental conditions such as radiation, air temp/RH/speed. Moreover, I measured simultaneously conduction, radiation (short and long wave), convection and evapotranspiration, as well as water content of substrate, LAI, plants and substrate temperature.  It was a very detailed work probably beyond the scope of Sotiris' initial question and I had to design and built a new apparatus to measure all these heat fluxes.  I would be glad to talk more in detail, but perhaps we are going little bit beyond the scope of this mail list.

So our studies might be similar but not precisely the same. We wanted to have a fully validated green roof model (based on physics principles), and back on those days we could not find the type/quality of experimental data to do this job so we produced this laboratory-grade data.

Greetings!

Paulo