[Bldg-sim] Energy Model Cost

Arpan Bakshi arpanbakshi at gmail.com
Thu May 12 14:22:24 PDT 2011

Dear Omar,

If you are providing both energy modeling and functioning as building
performance advisor providing design assistance, be sure to factor in effort
for each project phase.

*Schematic Design*
Sketch Models to evaluate form, massing, orientation, architectural
alternates. Here you are either comparing a simplified baseline to
simplified proposed designs, or you are comparing multiple proposed designs
with each other. Be clear on the metric of performance per project goals.
Energy use or cost or carbon, etc. This will depend on whether energy is
purchased or generated on site.

*Design Development*
Your first round of Performance Rating Method models, one baseline and one
proposed model. Some design decisions will have been made by the design team
but a number of assumptions will still need to be made. The purpose of this
round of modeling is to benchmark the project against project LEED targets,
e.g. "are we still good for Silver, or are we down to Certified".

*LEED Model*
In an ideal situation you are able to salvage your Design Development phase
efforts, but the reality of projects may require you to bring your model
back into wizard mode, reconfigure zoning and window placement, and then
either patch in systems from a previous model through text file, or if the
system design has evolved significantly, you may need to build from scratch.

When all is said and done in this type of consultancy, you are building 4+
models, including working models, all to differing levels of detail.

Arpan Bakshi,* *LEED AP BD+C