[Bldg-sim] FW: Energy Model Cost

Omar Delgado odelgado at enermechpr.com
Thu May 12 17:50:03 PDT 2011

From: Omar Delgado [mailto:odelgado at enermechpr.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:49 PM
To: 'James V Dirkes II, PE'
Subject: RE: [Bldg-sim] Energy Model Cost

Thanks everyone for you help! You have been really helpful.

The design phase is (supposedly) almost complete (of course that's rarely
the case as we all know).  I still need to see the

mechanical plans, but I know it's a CHW system. I'm not the LEED AP for the
project so the documentation and LEED Online

time are out of my scope. Looking at the architectural plans it doesn't seem
too complicated if it's a CHW system.

James and Arpan, thanks for the detailed explanations and  advice. The
service they are asking for is just to model the building as

designed. Of course, if it doesn't reach the desired level energy-wise I'm
sure will have to become an advisor on this part as well

so I'm taking all that into consideration. I usually include a set number of
modifications to the initial model to avoid the back and forth

that happens when everyone starts giving independent opinion. After the
first model I usually conduct a meeting with the whole

team to discuss the results and alternatives. Normally I won't modify the
model until the whole team is moving in the same direction

with the changes that are being proposed. I have found that it saves me a
whole lot of time, lol.

Marcus, I totally agree with you on your rant! That's why I asked this
question on the first place. Normally, when I do an existing

building model for building optimization the owner is willing to listen to
every advice and really analyze every aspect of the process,

not just initial cost. Because of this the process is "simplified". But,
since this is an RFP for LEED points, well, I really do not know what

carries more weight, if it really is the energy conservation, or if it is
just getting the points with as little investment as possible to

get the certificate.

So, since I know I'll be competing with the "modelers" Marcus mentions I
don't want to set the price too high. At the same time, since

it will be my first LEED model I don't want to set it so low that I get
burned. But with the responses you've given me I think I have a pretty

good idea of what to do.

Thanks again, and Marcus, I promise to explain everything to the owner, even
if my explanations fall on deaf ears. J

Omar A. Delgado Colón, P.E., MEnvM., LEED AP BD&C

Vice President

EnerMech

PMB 340

130 Winston Churchill Ave.

San Juan, PR 00926-6018

Cel. (787) 224-6537

odelgado at enermechpr.com

info at enermechpr.com

 <http://www.enermechpr.com/> www.enermechpr.com

cid:image004.gif at 01CAF34A.CAB15830 Please consider your environmental
responsibility before printing this e-mail

This Email is covered by the Electronics Communications Privacy Act, 18
U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521 and is legally priviliged. The information in this
email is personal and confidential and is intended solely for the
addressee(s). Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you
are not an intended recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the
information contained in the email. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender and may be subject to Attorney/Client
privilege and/or Work Product. You are hereby notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communications is strictly
prohibited.