[Bldg-sim] EQUEST or IES for ASHRAE 90.1 modelling??

Paul Riemer Paul.Riemer at dunhameng.com
Mon May 16 07:54:59 PDT 2011

Claire,
I had an interesting conversation with an IES rep about automated ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G baseline models.  He talked about the software developer thinking that they were 90% done about two years ago,  it was much more challenging than they thought it would be, but it's ready now.
Then I asked about the aspect that seems hardest to automate to me and his answer became let me get back to you.  It is not their fault.  ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G was never written to be automated the way that UK standards were, it is a moving target because of addenda, adopting authorities change things (LEED DES), and it is open to interpretations.  If you are making your business decisions based upon the Appendix G automation features, I suggest you look at the specific aspects that they can automate vs. what you need the most help with.

A true craftsperson never blames the tools and good management equips their staff well.

Good luck,

Paul Riemer, PE, LEED AP
Associate / Mechanical