[Bldg-sim] Low Ambient Strategy questioned in LEED Review

Christopher Schaffner chris at greenengineer.com
Thu Nov 17 12:06:51 PST 2011

Here's the logic in 90.1 Appendix G:

1. In 90.1 Appendix G, all lighting, including "task and furniture mounted
fixtures" must be included in the proposed case. (Table G3.1.6.d).

2. Table G3.1.6.b says that lighting power shall be determined in accordance
with Sections 9.1.3 and 9.1.4.

3. Section 9.1.3 says that all lighting power must be included "except as
specifically exempted in 9.2.2.3."

3. In 90.1 there is no such thing as "process lighting". If the lighting
doesn't meet one of the exceptions in 9.2.2.3 it must be included in the
model.

4.  Note that 9.2.2.3.p applies, so furniture mounted task lighting with
automatic shutoff complying with 9.4.1.4(d) does NOT need to be included in
the model, provide it can be shown that it is "in addition to the general
lighting"

I think the reviewer basically pointing out your circular logic. You've
argued that 20fc is adequate, but then argued that additional lighting
shouldn't be counted against you, because you need more light.

--

Chris Schaffner, PE
LEED Fellow

The Green Engineer, LLP
Sustainable Design Consulting
50 Beharrell Street
Concord, MA 01742
T: 978.369.8978
M:978.844.1464
chris at greenengineer.com
www.greenengineer.com

The Green Engineer, LLP is a Certified B Corporation