[Bldg-sim] [Ibpsausa] DOE Job Task Analysis for Energy Modelers: Open for public comment until Nov. 28th

Doug Hittle hittle at colostate.edu
Fri Nov 18 13:08:19 PST 2011

Ok. One last comment and then I have to get back to paying work.

Listed below are pretty much all of the skills and abilities listed in the
DACUM in the DoE report:

 Computer skills  Critical thinking skills  Logical thinking  Time
management Engineering skills  Math skillsAnalytical skills Research
skills Organizational skills  Physics Creative Logical thinking
Observation skills Safety conscious Project management skills Analytical
skills Patience  Persistence Ability to interpret drawings.

In most Universities, ours included, we strive to inculcate all of the
items in the list into every student who graduates in any scientific
discipline. Our best engineering students graduate with these skills. Ergo,
they have the skills they need to be energy modelers. How is repeatedly
listing these abilities going to help anyone?

In the "Specialized Knowledge" column there is some unevenness. Knowledge
of the "Building design and construction" is all encompassing while
knowledge of "Vertical transportation" is limited and it is not clear what
knowledge is required for energy analysis.

Have we now ALL agreed the the DoE document will not be used for
certification, standards, licensing, etc.? YES or NO!!!

Regards
Doug Hittle