[Bldg-sim] Modelling UFAD for LEED

jai yadav jaivardhany at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 05:35:31 PDT 2011

Dear Energy Simulators

I have to model Under Floor Air Distribution (UFAD) for one of LEED projects. I went through the document at the link http://www.energydesignresources.com/media/2654/EDR_DesignGuidelines_%20HVAC_Simulation.pdf to model UFAD in eQUEST. The major assumption in this method to model UFAD is to create a plenum zone, to model the effect of a thermally stratified zone above the occupied zone, and transfer a fraction of People (25%), Lighting (33%) and Equipment (33%) loads in that zone.

Is this method to model UFAD acceptable for simulations carried out to show LEED compliance? Has anyone else used this method before? Or is there any other method to model UFAD?

Your comments would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards
Ethen