[Bldg-sim] EPACT - more questions

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Oct 3 10:29:06 PDT 2011

Hi Rohini,

I haven't actually put together a final set of documentation for the modeling approaches, but having scoured the legislation & IRS clarification docs at one, here's my current understanding:

1.       "Running the proposed with both these systems as upgrades gives me ~40% cost savings."  ß This means the whole building approach is out (<50%).  You have to model the lighting/HVAC/envelope improvements independently ("partially qualifying").

2.       For each independently modeled component (lighting/HVAC/envelope) that pushes savings past the 16-2/3% improvement mark, you get to claim $0.60/SF for the deduction.

3.       The improved HVAC run will not benefit from any lighting/envelope improvements for these partially qualifying runs, and so on.

Not sure I recall a 20% improvement figure as part of the requirements, but I haven't brushed up on the particulars in a good while.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers