[Bldg-sim] LEED Baseline system definition

Christopher Schaffner chris at greenengineer.com
Wed Oct 12 17:31:53 PDT 2011

A basic principle of Appendix G is that fuel switching is not an energy
efficiency strategy, and shouldn't get rewarded. So the LEED interpretations
say that both baseline and proposed should use the same fuel with the same
rate structure, whether it is oil, gas, coal or biomass. However, depending
on the type and source of the biomass fuel, it may be considered "renewable"
for LEED. If it qualifies as a renewable energy source, the energy cost
becomes zero in the proposed case, and significant savings might be realized
under EAc1.

Check the LEED reference guide for the types of biomass that qualify as
renewable. Generally speaking it has to be agricultural waste, and must be
locally sourced.

--

Chris Schaffner, PE
LEED Fellow

The Green Engineer, LLP
Sustainable Design Consulting
50 Beharrell Street
Concord, MA 01742
T: 978.369.8978
M:978.844.1464
chris at greenengineer.com
www.greenengineer.com

The Green Engineer, LLP is a Certified B Corporation