[Bldg-sim] LEED Kitchen/Laundry HVAC Systems

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Thu Oct 27 13:51:57 PDT 2011

HVAC energy consumption caused by process loads cannot be called process loads. Nor would you want it to be a process load, because then you can't take credit for savings or at least not as easily.

Correct, your electrical or IT room with 90kW baseline is a system 3, and your Proposed can be an efficient design. ASHRAE 90.1-2007 G3.1.1 exception b allows you to apply system 3 for zones with large process loads.

This can be a huge source of energy savings. Enjoy it now, because rumor has it that the next version of 90.1 will set an alternate baseline for IT rooms and the like, and system 3 will no longer be applicable because the energy savings can be ridiculously large.

Fred Betz  PhD., LEED AP
Sustainable Systems Analyst

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com<mailto:fbetz at aeieng.com>  |  www.aeieng.com<http://www.aeieng.com/>