[Bldg-sim] EE4 for energy modeling

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Wed Sep 28 11:15:30 PDT 2011

Hi Anne Marie,

Anything you create in EE4 (chiller, utility rate, HVAC system, wall
type etc) goes to the project library (which is specific to that
project).  When you start a new project, EE4 takes a copy of the default
library and makes it the project library.  You can copy any element in
any of the libraries to the default library so it will be there in the
project library next time you create a project.  You can also open
multiple files within EE4 and then you can copy any element from the
library of one file to the other file.

Regarding work arounds & "gotchas", the EE4 modelling guide is a pretty
good guideline on using the software with descriptions of the common
workarounds.  (I can send as a .pdf if you do not have a copy.)  There
is also an EE4 FAQ webpage with more recent "issues" documented ... it
is here:
http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/commercial/newbuildings/faq/questions-answers.cfm?attr=20

Hope this helps.

There is an EE4 training session on Oct 18 & 19 ... but sadly, it is in
Mississauga, ON.  There is EE4 training in Vancouver from time to time.
I would suggest contacting Curt Hepting of EnerSys or Shaun Martin in
Vancouver.  They are the closest experts to you I know.

Good luck!

Brian Fountain
GreenSim

On 9/28/2011 1:57 PM, Anne M. Moellenberndt wrote:

> All,
>
> Can anyone provide some general watch-its, best practices, or
> commonly-used workarounds for EE4?  We are embarking on using EE4 for
> building energy modeling and are just getting to know the software.
> It looks to me like there isn't any ability to create templates like
> there is in eQuest or Trace, to speed up building the model and
> modifying standard components. Has anyone found any work-arounds for
> entering, or modifying, repetitive data?
>
> Thanks,
>
> *Anne Marie Moellenberndt *PE  LEED AP**
>
> Senior Mechanical Engineer
>
> *Arup*
>
> 403 Columbia Street Suite 220  Seattle WA 98104
>
> *t*+1 206 749 9674 *d* +1 206 493 2244
>
> *f*+1 206 749 0665
>
> www.arup.com <http://www.arup.com/>

-----