[Bldg-sim] A Problem regarding to Energy Plus to evelute the effect of PMV & PPD by verying the Air Velocity along with the effect of air velocity on energy consumption of same zone.

Griffith, Brent Brent.Griffith at nrel.gov
Thu Sep 29 06:57:20 PDT 2011

As you know, there is no direct link between the comfort velocity and the air system flow rate but this can be accomplished in EnergyPlus using EMS.  You would need to formulate your own model for the air velocity experienced by the occupants as a function of dynamic flow rate leaving the VAV air terminal unit.  This model would depend on the distribution and nature of the supply air terminals.  The general problem here is very complex and would probably require CFD to do accurately.  But a simple engineering model could be developed for a specific zone by scaling from the air terminal flow rate (m3/s) divided by an appropriate zone hydraulic diameter or cross section (m2).   This custom model would then be programmed in the EnergyPlus Runtime Language and included in the input file.  You would set up a Sensor for flow rate leaving the air terminal and an Actuator on the schedule used for the air velocity in the People object.  See the Application Guide for EMS.