[Bldg-sim] There are still places for the air flow network workshop at eSim 2012

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 10:17:37 PDT 2012

This message is to the simulation community....

In case you did not notice that there is an air flow network design workshop in
Halafax next week there is still time to sign up.  As with many things in ESP-r
working with a mentor in the planning and implementation phases can be an
efficient way of embedding new skills.  If you really think about it, air movement
is an important influence in the majority of simulation projects so use this opportunity
to embed well designed flow networks and controls into your models.

Go on to the eSim 2012 site and look in the workshops for more information. I
look forward to seeing you at eSim!

Regards, Jon Hand, ESRU Glasgow Scotland.

Below is the announcement on the eSim site.....

ESP-r Air Flow Network workshop (morning)

Air moves around in buildings - sometimes because we force it and sometimes because we want to encourage natural ventilation. Air is continually moving  because of temperature differences and pressure differences and the imperfect nature of architectural and environmental systems details. Although CFD has taken much of the spotlight in recent years, the ability to assess patterns of bulk air movement over tens of thousands of time-steps with very little computational overhead has a place in many research and design projects.

As we attempt to design buildings which restrict heat flows through facades even small movements of air begin to play an important role in building performance. Air movement is also tightly coupled to other thermal solution domains and ESP-r has offered very efficient facilities to solve air flow networks simultaneously with the zone and environmental system, transient CFD and electrical power solvers for a number of years. Typical uses are to assess variations in infiltration due to weather variations, assessing mixing between perimeter and core zones, evaluating window opening strategies, CO2 levels and to risk over time.

Designing flow networks is an art as well as a science. This half-day workshop will provide an overview of ESP-r flow network facilities, component types as well as models which demonstrate its use in natural and hybrid ventilation studies and research projects. We will plan and implement a network, impose control on it and look at the resulting flow patterns over time.

The schedule is as follows:

    08:00-08:45 Introduction and tour of models
    08:45-09:15 Planning flow networks
    09:15-09:45 Exercise to implement a flow network
    09:45-10:00 Break
    10:00-10:30 Overview of flow components
    10:30-11:00 Exercise flow components
    11:00-11:30 Exercise flow patterns
    11:30-12:00 Closing and detailed questions