[Bldg-sim] Fast computer graphics techniques for calculating direct solar radiation on complex building surfaces - a paper from the official IBPSA Journal, the Journal of Building Performance Simulation

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Sat Aug 4 09:35:09 PDT 2012

That is a very interesting paper.  The use of B-Splines is
particularly of interest as I worked on a program for designing ships
hulls with my old friend Rolf Oetter at the University of Victoria.

We used B-Splines and knots in a similar fashion.  That was ages ago
and program is widely in use:
http://www.bclocalnews.com/businessexaminer/vancouver_island/people/28425484.html?period=W&mpStartDate=05-18-2012

At 11:46 AM 02/08/2012, D'Angelo, Joseph wrote:

>Direct solar radiation has a major influence on a building's thermal
>behaviour. Current simulation engines are not up to the challenge of
>accurately modelling solar gains for buildings with complex or
>curved geometry and buildings sited in dense urban areas. Accurate
>thermal performance prediction for buildings in early stages of
>design is hindered by excessive computation time and incompatibility
>between architectural models and building energy simulation
>software. This paper proposes using a combination of modern computer
>graphics rendering techniques and parametric B-spline interpolation
>methods to quickly and accurately calculate solar gains over a full
>year based on sparse data with a continuous interpolation method.
>These new procedures accommodate complex building geometries and
>intricate shadow patterns and can accelerate shading calculations by
>several orders of magnitude. Faster calculations allow studies to be
>made at the early stages of design when modifications can have the
>greatest impact on a building's thermal behaviour.
>Authors: Nathaniel L. Jones, Donald P. Greenberg & Kevin B. Pratt
>
>Read the full paper here:
><http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19401493.2011.582154>http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/19401493.2011.582154
>
>Warm regards,
>
>Joe
>
>----------
>
>The information contained in this email message may be confidential.
>If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with,
>disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and
>prohibited. Although this message and any attachments are believed
>to be free of viruses, no responsibility is accepted by Informa for
>any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.
>Messages to and from the company are monitored for operational
>reasons and in accordance with lawful business practices.
>If you have received this message in error, please notify us by
>return and delete the message and any attachments. Further
>enquiries/returns can be sent to postmaster at informa.com
>
>Taylor & Francis Group is a trading name of Informa UK Limited,
>registered in England under no. 1072954

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E1W7