[Bldg-sim] Comparison of Text Editors for idf-file

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Tue Aug 14 18:02:13 PDT 2012

I haven't ventured into Energyplus IDF file editing but for DOE2.1e
and DOE2.2, UltraEdit works great.

UltraEdit includes:
Syntax highlighting for programming languages not build included is
very easy to add - edit a text file.
Side by side file compare, file merge etc.
Text fold/unfold
Save Copy As
Rectangular selection and column summing - this is handy when
examining the results files.

In addition UltraEdit has a fairly decent macro programming feature
including Record Keystrokes which is very handy for extracting
sections from the results files and copying them into another file.

One nice feature of UltraEdit is the ability to define Projects - a
group of files that are to be opened together.

Also, you can run dos commands/programs - handy for command line
compiling.  I use it for running DOE2 when debugging an input
file.  You can also call Windows programs but I haven't had a need to
do that as yet.

I have been using UltraEdit since 1996 - it replaced the dos based
editor I had been using, "Brief", a Borland product.  I still use the
Brief keystroke commands - UltraEdit allows you to redefine the
keystroke commands.

At 02:07 PM 14/08/2012, Pavel Dybskiy wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>It might be useful for some of us who gets annoyed with notepad.
>
>I did a quick comparison of three text editors: TextPad 6.1.3,
>Notepad++ 6.1.5 and relatively new Sublime 2.1.
>
>I have selected several features, some of which I found very useful,
>others somehow useful.
>
>E.g. very useful:
>    * Syntax highlighting,
>    * Side by side file compare (someone may know this feature from
> Total Commander),
>    * Text fold/unfold(collapse/uncollapse)
>
>Somehow useful:
>    * Save Copy As ... ,
>    * Rectangular selection (used to be in the stone age qedit)
>
>A picture in the attachment shows the results of this comparison.
>
>In brief, NONE of these editors can claim having MORE THAN ONE
>useful feature!
>
>Your comments and personal experience are very welcome.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Pavel Dybskiy
>Ryerson University,Toronto

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.