[Bldg-sim] EPAct 179D Envelope Credit

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr. poleary1969 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 17:07:18 PST 2012

1.  i would recommend obtaining 90.1-2001 and 2004 as the requirements
of 2001 and the methodologies of 2004 differ from 2010.
2.  don't forget 179d requirements over-ride requirements of 90.1.
3.  do you have the 179d energy simulation guide?  this one is free from
the nrel website. 40467.pdf is the name of it.
4.  the irs bulletins on the revisions for partially qualifying have
changed over the years.  most recently (02/12) with an option to use two
different percentage sets if the building is not fully qualifying until
12/31/2013.  i.e. 10% building, 15% hvac/swh, 25% lighting OR 10%
building, 20% hvac/swh, 20% lighting.  the old 16-2/3% for each
discipline expired at the end of 2008.
5.  and if you're looking at partially qualifying don't forget a
partially qualifying is each discipline by itself so you can't have a
partially qualifying hvac/lighting only or hvac/arch.  it would be one
simulation partially hvac, another partially bldg, or lighting.  and in
the case of lighting you can use the interim lighting rules which
doesn't require simulation.
6. can't help you with the use of phase change materials.
7.  the simulations start the same between leed and epact but a) you'll
see more savings with epact, b) the baseline requirements are different
(see the 179d simulation guide), and MOST importantly the 179d
certification is a certification of what is installed on the project.
i.e. who is field verifying what is there?  you are.  and you're
certifying this to the irs.  this can make a large difference as far as
hvac due to your having field measure fan flow, motor volts, and motor
amps used.  as these should be less than nameplate data you'll see more
energy savings.  yes, i realize some of the language in 179d reads
equipment "that will be installed" but if you're using only catalog data
(which can differ from nameplate) due to trying to certify before the
building is constructed you won't see as much 179d savings.  don't
forget you're also certifying building envelope installation and field
measured lighting levels (there are lighting contractors that can
provide this) per the 179d requirements.
8.  the 179d savings are an energy cost savings basis.  you have to
break out the percent cost of energy used by each discipline from the
total cost of the building based on the percentage energy used by each
discipline.  see page 9 of the 40467.pdf from nrel.

9.  remember you're only comparing energy for building envelope,
hvac/swh, and lighting.  as misc/other energies are energy neutral they
don't impact your savings directly (unlike in leed).
10.  solar pv savings do not apply to 179d, and neither does external
lighting (it's all internal lighting).  we could have a lot higher
savings where i'm at if we could include external lighting due to
stringent site lighting reductions trying to keep our skies dark and
federally funded telescopes having great views.  solar thermal (swh)
does apply.

regardsl,