[Bldg-sim] Fwd: [Equest-users] A Response & Statement on Energy Modeling Services: Meaning and Value

Jeremiah Crossett jcrossett at phasechange.com
Mon Dec 10 09:36:47 PST 2012

Cristian,
I think that each model is vastly different and must be priced based upon
the requirements of the project. For instance if there are complex systems
that can either not be modeled in eQuest or would involve very intensive
work around's that basically compromise the premise of using eQuest and
more capable software such as energy plus, TRNSYS or ESP-r would be
required and the modeler would have to do more work to complete the job
than they should charge more. (indoor swimming pools, variable refrigerant
flow heat pumps, green roofs and phase change materials come to mind)  The
challenge with charging the same for a non-compliance project such as an
energy audit model as a compliance project such as a LEED certification is
that there is less work for the modeler and more reward for the client for
a LEED project, so more value. You might want to start out with
Pasha's recommendation and then provide a "discount" if the model is of
simple basic systems  and the client is not pursuing platinum certification.
 Also keep in mind that commonly modeling is bundled with engineering and
design services offered by large firms with multi member teams so the value
for a "model only" from a free lance individual might be much less.
 Basically your service is worth what you say it is and so long as your
client is happy and your business is profitable you should be fine.
*
*
*
*
*Jeremiah D. Crossett  | Senior Analyst  |  Phase Change Energy Solutions*
*
120 E. Pritchard St.  | Asheboro, NC 27203  | Mobile 503-688-8951
www.phasechange.com
*

*
*