[Bldg-sim] Need 'realistic' Building Models for E+

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Dec 18 13:27:51 PST 2012

Depending on the objective of Geof's investigation, I'd like to add a note of caution
about these DOE commercial reference buildings, something that I was involved in first
creating 5 years ago.   Although these have evolved substantially beyond the shoeboxes of
the 1990's, they are still prototypical building models that are quite simple in
comparison to models based on real buildings.  If your intention is to investigate how
EnergyPlus performs under stress conditions, there are far larger and more complex
realistic building models out there. Unfortunately for Geof, the great majority of them
have been created
using DOE-2 or eQUEST.  Over the past year, I've been asked to help convert such models to
EnergyPlus, once by someone at LBNL!   Now these are what I would call large building
models, one had over 400 spaces and over 2,000 surfaces.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D