[Bldg-sim] Fw: Mandatory Provisions 5.4

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Tue Feb 7 17:09:57 PST 2012

5.4.1 states that where insulation is required,
it must be labelled and installed according to
the requirements of 5.8.1.1 - 5.8.1.9.
If insulation is required, the performance of the
insulation must meet the requirements of 5.5 or
5.6.  Section 5.5 is prescriptive and you must
have the insulation levels specified in Tables
5.8.1.1-5.8..1.9 - as a minimum.

If the project doesn't meet the prescriptive
requirements, you must meet either the Section
5.6, the Building Trade-Off Option.

Alternately, you may show compliance using the
Energy Cost Budget Method, Section 11 as long as Section 5.4 is met.

In some jurisdictions, the building permit
process requires showing compliance with the
prescriptive or building trade off method.  I
always use the building trade off method using
EnvStd as it is quicker than filling in the
prescriptive tables and EnvStd produces a nicely
formatted report gets quick approval from the building code official.

At 03:25 AM 07/02/2012, Ty Law wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I am quite confused between what the ASHRAE 90.1
>and the user’s manual tell us about Building Envelope Mandatory Provisions:
>
>5.4 Mandatory Provisions
>“5.4.1 Insulation. Where insulation is required in Section
>5.5 or 5.6, it shall comply with the requirements found in Sections
>5.8.1.1 through 5.8.1.9.” - ASHRAE 90.1-2007
>

>Insulation (§ 5.8.1)
>“The first set of mandatory requirements
>addresses the proper installation and
>protection of insulation materials. Issues
>that are covered include compression of
>insulation, installing insulation on sloping
>ceilings and around recessed equipment,
>and protecting insulation from physical or
>moisture damage.”- ASHRAE 90.1-2007-User’s Manual
>

>Does this mean that we could use insulation that
>is not as efficient as indicated in Table 5.5-1
>through 5.5-8 as long as it complies with Section 5.8.1.1 through 5.8.1.9?
>
>Your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Chris Jones
14 Oneida Avenue
Toronto, ON M5J 2E3.