[Bldg-sim] Do I need to use the actual window shape?

Sami, Vikram Vikram.Sami at perkinswill.com
Fri Feb 24 12:15:59 PST 2012

I am assuming you are talking about for the proposed building & not the baseline. Reasons you need the window shape:

*         Account for accurate frame conditions - if you have five windows of 4x8, and one large window of 20x8 - the first one will have more overall conductance that the latter.

*         Account for accurate shading effects - this can be overcome easier.

If you have identical windows, you can use a multiplier that will get you what you need - although I'm not sure how the multiplier works with daylighting.

Hope this helps

Vikram Sami, LEED AP BD+C
Sustainable Design Analyst
1315 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta, GA 30309