[Bldg-sim] Calibrated Simulations & ASHRAE G14

Hayes Zirnhelt hzirnhelt at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 14:26:49 PST 2012

Hi,
Does anyone have experience with calibrated simulations? Especially, in accordance with ASHRAE guideline 14, or other standards / guidelines.

I've been working on a calibrating and EnergyPlus model to measured gas HVAC data for a single family house with extensive monitoring and detailed information available and I am finding it very difficult to achieve the <= 30% CV RSME that Guideline 14 suggests.

I'm surprised that it is this challenging because I have far more information available than what would likely be available in typical modelling jobs. Eg. ACH rating, measured ground temperature data, full as-built plans, indoor temperature measurements....

So I'm curious to hear about anyone else's experiences with this. Is this guideline generally achievable for modellers?

Thanks,

Hayes Zirnhelt
M.A.Sc Candidate, RU Building Science
B.A.Sc Integrated Engineering