[Bldg-sim] Daylight Simulation in Design - Event and Webcast

Holly W. Samuelson hsamuelson at gsd.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 25 09:47:32 PST 2012

Dear Bldg-Sim,
IBPSA Boston in conjunction with IES Boston is excited to present our next
event, Daylight Simulation in Design, on February 7th from 6:00-7:30pm EST
at MIT, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.  We have two groups of
speakers who will present some interesting applications of daylight
simulation in architecture projects.  As usual,  the event will be webcast
and web-archived.  Please RSVP to ibpsa.boston at gmail.com if you plan to
attend in person.  Details below.
(Also, please save the date for our next event/webcast, a joint meeting the
evening of March 13 with ASHRAE and AEE.)

*Daylight Simulation in Design
*February 7, 6:00-7:30pm EST
MIT, building 7 (aka 77 Massachusetts Ave.) room 431 (aka the Long Lounge)
Social event to follow at a local pub TBD.  Munchies provided.

*Presentation Synopses:
*Schroepfer + Hee’s New Jurong Church (planned for completition in 2013) is
an approximately 10,000 sqm religious and cultural facility located in the
densely populated western part of Singapore. The presenters will discuss
how, with the need to mitigate the harsh climate conditions of the tropics
and yet not have a high dependence on mechanical cooling systems, the
conception and design of the building envelope employed state-of-the-art
lighting and energy use simulations to make full use of passive systems,
leading to an understanding of architecture in that form, material,
structure and performance are not seen as separate elements, but rather as
complex interrelations.

Daylight modeling can be a powerful tool in the professional architectural
world, but it can also create various challenges. Using examples from their
work at Lam Partners, the presenters will show ways in which daylight
modeling can be crafted strategically to support design ideas, as well as
some of the hurdles to using this type of analysis on projects. The
presentation will touch upon topics such as cost, efficiency and marketing.
*Speakers:
*Thomas Schroepfer, Associate Professor at Singapore University of
Technology and Design and Principal at Schroepfer + Hee
Alstan Jakubiec, PhD Candidate at MIT
Azadeh Omidfar, Researcher at MIT, Designer at Einhorn Yaffee Prescott
Glenn Heinmiller, Principal at Lam Partners
Kera Lagios, Designer at Lam Partners

*Remote Access Instructions:
*We will broadcast the session using AnyMeeting. You may register ahead of
time, which would be helpful to us, or sign-in without registering once the
meeting starts.  The URL for the broadcast will be:
http://www.anymeeting.com/ibpsaboston1 The registration URL is:
http://www.anymeeting.com/PIID=EB56D7848847 You will be able to hear the
presentation and discussion through your computer speakers, and to text
questions for the speakers (using AnyMeeting) to our webmaster, who will be
monitoring the remote attendees.

More information on the speakers as well as transportation and parking will
be posted on our website: http://ibpsa-boston.com/.

*More Info on IBPSA Boston and IES Boston:
*IBPSA Boston http://ibpsa-boston.com/ is a local chapter of the
International Building Performance Simulation Association, USA Regional
Affiliate. Membership for individuals in IBPSA Boston is free. If you would
like to be notified of all our events, please join our mailing list by
emailing "Membership Request" to ibpsa.boston at gmail.com.
IES Boston http://www.iesnewengland.com/ is a section of the Illuminating
Engineering Society of North America.  The IESNA is the recognized
technical authority on illumination.

--

Holly W. Samuelson
President, IBPSA Boston