[Bldg-sim] Calibrated Simulations & ASHRAE G14

David Eldridge dse at grummanbutkus.com
Thu Jan 5 08:21:03 PST 2012

   RE: [Bldg-sim] Calibrated Simulations & ASHRAE G14

There are probably occupancy variations that took place in the house that
cause variance in the energy usage for the measured case, and it may be
difficult for you to capture those effects in the model.

Other building occupancies (commercial, institutional, etc.) stick more
closely to their typical usage patterns and the benchmark CV should be
achievable in most cases.

It should be for residential also if you have enough data about the usage
to tailor the operating schedules.

You might want to start out with a gas usage and HDD regression to identify
if there are any months that jump out as atypical from your modeling,
irregular usage periods, etc.

DHW could be significant also, maybe you can get water usage data for the
house to see if there were periods when occpuants were using more
showers/sinks/laundry/etc.

One other idea might be to see how sensitive the CV is to the measured ACH,
which could vary during times of the year, not sure if your measurement
covered multiple data points (summer/winter/occpupied/unoccupied).

Hope this helps!

David

***

*

*****David S. Eldridge, Jr.******, P****.******E****.******, LEED AP BD+C,
BEMP, BEAP, HBDP*

Project Manager

Direct: (847) 316-9224 | Fax: (847) 328-4550

*****Grumman/Butkus Associates* | 820 Davis Street, Suite 300 | Evanston,
IL 60201

Energy Efficiency Consultants and Sustainable Design Engineers

***

*