[Bldg-sim] Residential Activity area coverage

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Sun Jul 1 12:08:46 PDT 2012

CanmetEnergy publishes a good residential energy analysis program.
http://canmetenergy.nrcan.gc.ca/software-tools/hot2000/84

Also Hot2XP, and Hot3000 - beta.

I have been using Hot2000 for years.  We did a major renovation on
our home 3 years ago.  I used Hot2000 and DOE2.1e to model the
house.  The two agreed on the envelope and ventilation
loads.  Hot2000 gave results that seemed more reasonable for the
total energy.  The house has an HRV and infloor heating, no
AC.  Creating the Hot2000 model is significantly simpler.

With equest you can set the ventilation system to no heating/cooling
capacity and a fan flow to account for the exhaust flow with no fan
energy.  Allocating the plug loads and schedules will take some
judgement.  The refrigerator is modelled as a plug load, not as
refrigeration.  You need to account for any ventilation - kitchen
hood, dryer, bathroom fans etc. in the appropriate zones.

The default schedules and loads in Hot2000 are fairly representative
of typical homes.  You can create your own schedules as required.

At 01:39 PM 29/06/2012, Dustin Ferzacca wrote:

>boundary="_000_CBABAE2AD25BED409E6C7648D098E7854689DDDC14SBSaeilocal_"
>
>Hey all,
>I am a new user of eQUEST, and I have a couple of questions
>regarding a model of a small single family residential home I am modeling.
>1. Under general information, is there any way to specify the
>building as single family? I have it set to multi family low rise,
>because I did not see a single family option
>2. Does allocating the building activity area as residential default
>basic household appliances such as refrigerators and washing
>machines, or do I have to also specify that there is self contained
>refrigeration
>3. It is a house without a ventilation or AC system, but I cannot
>seem to get rid of ventilation fans. How can I indicate to the
>program that there are no ventilation fans at all?
>
>Thanks a lot,
>Dustin

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street