[Bldg-sim] Cooling Design Calc Methods

Fri Jul 6 10:19:28 PDT 2012

On 07/05/2012 02:21 PM, Jim Dirkes wrote:

> Caveat emptor: I have not attempted this type of comparison, since my
> "day job" is energy modeling with E+, not load calculations.

Jim, shouldn't you do this on every project?

Our lab does not do design, but we end up doing this type of comparison
on virtually every project. There is no point of energy savings if we
are still designing an energy hog. Like you said, load calc is not our
job. But its our job to educate the owner that their building must have
an optimal load, and that has to be reflected in the system and plant
sizes. ONLY when the load is optimized, then we can talk about saving
some energy.

Of course there is ALWAYS some resistance (in various degrees) from the
mechanical engineers, but we usually succeed in streamlining our inputs
with the load calc inputs (read: to make their assumptions less
conservative and reduce their safety factor, that we end up with an
optimum peak loads).

I believe that you have a similar experience. Care to share with the
forum about your experience on this?

Ery