[Bldg-sim] productivity of office workers as function of temperature and co2 concentration (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Mon Jun 11 11:09:34 PDT 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE
Monitoring CO2 concentrations isn't necessarily about CO2.  Sensing CO2 is only an indicator for all the other chemicals in the air.

People put off methane, wear perfume, expel formaldehyde, sweat and a whole lot of disgusting stuff.

Buildings often try to maintain 800ppm of CO2. OSHA allows exposure of 5,000ppm of CO2 for 8 hours.  The reason it is common to maintain a CO2 level which is 1/6th of the OSHA approved limits is because it isn't necessarily CO2 we are trying to control.  It is all the other smells...

This is also why it may be difficult to find a graph showing performance vs C02 levels (see bottom).  The study showed at 2500ppm no measurable difference in performance was detected.

And lastly, Why monitor CO2?  The sensors are cheap and accurate.

http://www.energy.wsu.edu/Documents/CO2inbuildings.pdf

http://www.cal-iaq.org/phocadownload/2011_satish_ia.pdf