[Bldg-sim] Appendex G LPD

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Jun 25 10:54:33 PDT 2012

Javed is right - that discussion on [Equest-users] pretty much covered all angles of this topic - recommended reading!  Following is an additional response I threw together for Robby/Kris that I think nails down some grey areas:

I may be reading the question differently, but I would add the space-by-space method is not a requirement.  It's usually a good idea from a "I want to get more LEED points perspective," as the space-by-space approach often yields a higher allowable LPD overall, but one can choose to model the proposed and baseline either using the building area or space-by-space approach.  Do not however mix your approaches between the models.

This point (being able to use either method to tally/model LPD) is pretty explicitly made in the same cited Table G3.1 section under the Baseline requirements.

If the lighting designer has calculated the installed LPD, nothing in the standard dictates the modeler must perform separate takeoffs ... but expect to shoulder blame if those calculations do not satisfy the reviewers.  From personal experience, I advise against placing a heavy amount of trust in others' LPD calcs.  Energy models are only ever as strong as the weakest inputs used to build them.

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER