[Bldg-sim] Food for thought....

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Thu Jun 28 15:57:54 PDT 2012

My experience here in Canada is that the larger organizations with
existing big buildings have done a significant amount of work over
the past decade to reduce energy use.  I know a number of firms that
specialize in energy management that are very busy with organizations
like the banks, large utilities, etc.

The one thing to remember when pitching energy improvement is that if
energy use costs $2.00 per square foot, employees cost $20 per square
foot.  Owners like benefits that keep employees happy.

>I have lots of new reading as a result of this post and am looking
>forward to it.  Interesting that this is not really a new topic, as
>evidenced by the 1997 and 1998 publications referenced by some of you!
>I've been thinking a fair amount lately about the huge and untapped
>savings potential in existing buildings, but have not figured out
>the right sales pitch for the owners yet.  It seems that they have
>about 20 other factors affecting their incentive for improving
>building operations.  I'm not giving up, however; there is too much
>good to be accomplished! (not to mention challenge, learning and income J)

Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M5E1W7
Tel. 416-203-7465