[Bldg-sim] Model validation protocol

Sachin Sharma sachin5787 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 05:18:18 PDT 2012

Hi,

This requires input from masters of energy modelling, so plz give
suggestions!

I have modelled a test chamber with radiant floor cooling system + OA
ventilation using EnergyPlus. The model has been prepared as per the
specification of a published paper of a renowned Journal. The experimental
data of the test chamber as given in the paper has been matched with my
energyplus results. So, here are my queries:

1. Will this be considered as validation of the methodology used in the
software and now I can make changes in not only the HVAC system but also in
the building envelope as well. My concern is that, by changing the building
envelope and HVAC system do the results of my model be considered as
validated or not. Can anyone share the model result validation protocol.

2. If I put DOAS in the same model with same envelope details and compare it
with other cooling systems for a particular climate does the model results
be considered as validated or not. In other words, can I make changes in the
HVAC system keeping envelope, schedules and other loads similar to the
original data and consider my model results to be validated or not.

In many cases what I have seen is that the models are validated using
experimental data but what if there is no experimental setup available, then
will this approach of using a published data from previous experiment to
validate your own modelling approach and then making desired parametric
changes to find results suffice or not?

Thanks,

With regards,

Sachin Sharma, GRIHA T&E