[Bldg-sim] Building Energy Modeling Guidelines

Jeff Haberl jhaberl at tamu.edu
Sun Mar 4 11:43:14 PST 2012

Ellen,

Here's a few more:

1. In a way the sample files that come with DOE-2.1e are showing you examples of buildings that LBNL assembled to go with DOE-2. You can view these with DrawBDL. However, there is only limited text that explains he intent of the file, and now guideline so to speak about modeling a building, in general.

In a similar fashion, EQUEST comes with input files that you can view as well that pretty much cover the full range of building types.

Finally, the DOE EnergyPlus standard 17 building type files (that came originally from Joe Huang I'm told) are also examples of how to model different building types.

There are also the books by Joe Clarke, Godfried Augenbroe, Jan Hensen/Roberto Lambert on simulation that provide varying advice on simulation.

Also, TRNSYS has lots of files in their library that show how to model different things (mostly systems), that are useful as well.

Problem is with any guide, anywhere is that, at some point,  is has to be specific to a particular simulation program, or else it becomes so general that it loses it meaning.

If you want something that is really interesting, look at the 1958 ASHRAE paper by Buchberg that talks about modeling a one room hut using an analog electrical circuit...this was the start of it all.

Jeff

Jeff S. Haberl, Ph.D.,P.E., FASHRAE..............jhaberl at tamu.edu

Department of Architecture.............................Lab Ph:979-845-6065

Energy Systems Laboratory.............................FAX: 979-862-2457

Texas A&M University.....................................77843-3581

College Station, Texas, USA, 77843..................URL:www.esl.tamu.edu