[Bldg-sim] Building Energy Modeling Guidelines

CleanTech Analytics jeremiah at cleantechanalytics.com
Sun Mar 4 21:17:57 PST 2012

Gentelmen,
As a self educated Modeler, who takes the task very seriously I might add,
I encourage you to read the publication by the rocky mountain institute on
what they call "Black Belt Energy Modeling".. And see how you feel you rank
in the system. (I would say I am a purple belt)

Check this link
http://www.rmi.org/Content/Files/Black%20Belt%20Modeling%20Matrix%20RMI%2008-27-10.pdf

Or see attachment for the full pdf,

Black Belt Energy Modeling1
The concept of black belt energy modeling arose from a need to set forth
expectations, training materials, and professional development paths for
learning
this specialized skill. While contributions can be made at many levels,
becoming a
master requires a depth and breadth of knowledge pertaining to engineering,
building science and energy simulation tools. The Black Belt Energy Modeling
Matrix presented below outlines a spectrum of modeling capabilities – from
trainee
to master – along with the associated skills and background knowledge to
support
success.
The framework and content of the matrix are based on providing integrated
design
assistance as typically delivered to the private sector. Thus the outline
may not align
well to other applications. It does not reflect the benefits of a
streamlined BIM
process or software that automatically generates a minimally code‐compliant
building model.
1 Concept developed by Ellen Franconi, PhD, of the Rocky Mountain
Institute. These materials are
copyrighted through a Creative Commons License, which allows use and
distribution as long as credit is
given to the original author.
Black Belt Energy Modeling Matrix
Belt Capabilities Examples Background
Knowledge2
Trainee
White  Collect modeling
input data
 Gather information
needed for
characterizing the
building from
construction
documents,
narratives, survey
data, etc.
 Basic engineering
methods, units,
conversions
 Reading construction
drawings
 Familiarity with
construction materials,
methods, and
mechanical systems
 Familiarity with space
requirements as
outlined in Standards
(supply flow rates,
outdoor air, lumen
levels)
Yellow  Perform input data
calculations
 Convert data collected
from various sources
to a form used by the
simulation program
(fan power
calculations, EER to
EIR calculations,
window COG U‐value
to overall U‐value,
etc.)
 Spreadsheets
 Building load
calculation procedures
 Mechanical system
basics
Orange  Develop building
geometry and zoning
 Import AutoCAD files
and manipulate as
needed to incorporate
into modeling
software
 Develop zoning based
on thermal block
concepts
 Finalize zoning after
master modeler
review
 Computer drawing
programs as applicable
 Basic heat transfer
 Basic thermodynamics
 Basic mechanical
system design
concepts
2 Background knowledge for a belt includes that for lower-level belts
Belt Capabilities Examples Background
Knowledge2
Technician
Green  Create building input
file using software
wizard
 Use modeling
software graphical
user interface and
complete basic
building model based
on proposed design,
project input data and
software default
values
 Building science
(envelope, lighting,
electrical, mechanical,
renewable building
systems)
Blue  Build minimally‐code
compliant building
model
 Modify proposed
design model to
characterize
minimally‐compliant
building in adherence
to the referenced
method
 Reference Standards
(ASHRAE 90.1 ‐
Performance Rating
Method, ASHRAE 62.1,
COMNET)
Core Analyst
Purple  Perform parametric
analysis for straight
forward design
alternates
 Review predicted
energy use by end
use and costs for
reasonableness
 Complete utility and
end‐use level
calibration of existing
building models
 Outline energy
conservation
measures applicable
to the project
 Characterize the
measures for
modeling
 Use modeling
software parametric
capabilities
 For an existing
building, reconcile
actual with predicted
utility resource use
through repeated
comparison and gross
model adjustment
 Actual building energy
consumption by end
use for different types
of buildings and
systems
 Energy efficiency
measures and their
performance
characterization
 Modeling software
commands and
keywords
 Utility rate structures
Belt Capabilities Examples Background
Knowledge2
Brown  Perform modeling of
complex features,
systems or
components not
readily characterized
in the software
 Complete detailed
quality assurance
review
 Complete system
level calibration of
existing building
models
 Make the most of
existing software
capabilities to model
UFAD, chilled beams,
make‐up air units, slab
losses, etc.
 Use detailed output
reports and postprocessing
tools to
perform a reality
check on component
and system‐level
results/metrics.
 Advanced heat transfer
thermodynamics
 Advanced building
science
 IPMVP/EVO concepts
including balancing risk
with value
Master
Red  Understand the
engineering
algorithms used by
the software and
modify modeling
input/methods to
improve input
characterizations
 Use supplemental
detailed analysis to
support simulation
software workarounds
or short cuts.
 Use supplemental CFD
modeling results to
characterize impact of
natural ventilation
strategy. Build an
hourly infiltration
schedule to mimic CFD
results and
incorporate into
whole‐building model.
 Deep knowledge of
modeling software
 Experience applying
heat transfer and
thermodynamic
algorithms related to
building science
Black  Balance modeling
level of detail against
accuracy of results
needed to support
decision making
 Provide qualitative
assessments of design
options and conduct
limited modeling as
needed
 Vast project modeling
experience
 Understanding of
application challenges
and actual achieved
performance
Black Belt Energy Modeling Matrix for PowerPoint Presentations
Belt Capabilities
Trainee
White  Collect modeling input data
Yellow  Perform input data calculations
Orange  Develop building geometry and zoning
Technician
Green  Create building input file using software wizard
Blue  Build minimally‐code compliant building model
Core
Analyst
Purple  Review results for reasonableness
 Complete calibrations
Brown  Perform complex modeling
 Complete detailed QC
 Complete system level calibration
Master
Red  Understand the algorithms
 Use supplemental analysis

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Pavel Dybskiy <pdybskiy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Good analogy in case ... if the modeler's job is to run a model developed
> by an expert, and only change weather files and sometimes windows' size and
> temperature set point :)
>
>  Pavel
>
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Hussein Abaza <ahussein at spsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I think modeling is one thing, and understanding the causes and results
>> when modeling is something else. It is like the X-ray technician and the
>> doctor who look at the X-ray image to interpret it.  Yes, we need
>> professional modeler, but we also need building technology experts who can
>> derive meaningful information from the energy model to evaluate
>> and improve the design. Otherwise, it will be shooting in the dark.

>>> 2-22 Mottram Road
>>> Stalybridge
>>> Cheshire
>>> UK
>>> SK15 3AD
>>>
>>> Tel - +44 161 3386200
>>> Mob - +44 789 4098012
>>> Email - paul at zed-uk.com

*Jeremiah D. Crossett*
*CleanTech Analytics*
*503-688-8951*
*www.cleantechanalytics.com* <http://www.cleantechanalytics.com>

*

This document may contain valuable information proprietary to CleanTech
Analytics which is private and confidential. It may not be shared, copied,
stored or transmitted in any form without the prior written consent of
CleanTech Analytics
*