[Bldg-sim] bin weather file

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Mar 7 11:59:28 PST 2012

*.bin is the file format used by DOE-2.1E and DOE-2.2, which is the underlying simulation
engine for eQUEST.
It's a surprisingly small binary file of only 148K, because the data have been "packed",
i.e., the numbers have been combined numerically to be "unpacked" when read by DOE-2. This
was done to minimize computer storage which was a consideration when DOE-2 was first
designed in the early 80's.  The downsides to these packed files are: (1) some loss of
precision, and (2) you need special programs to convert the files into something humanly
readable. Perhaps none of this is relevant to most users, who just need a *.bin weather
file for their specific location and have no interest in looking at the weather data
itself, but I throw out these two sentences just to explain what they are.

There is no recognizable depository of *.bin files, but there are plenty of them floating
around in various places. For example, the eQUEST web site ( www.doe2.com/index_Wth.html )
has a number of standard weather data sets, almost entirely for the US, California, and
Canada.   I've also got NREL's new TMY3 weather files in *.bin format for 1020 US
locations on my company website (www.whiteboxtechnologies.com/weather_data.html ).
The eQUEST web site also has a utility program (eQ_WthProc) that allows users to convert
EPW files to bin files.

If you don't find a *.bin file meeting your needs from the above, it's also possible to
create a *.bin file from raw weather data. <caution - advertising follows :-) >   I have
been offering a service to create weather files in *.bin (or other commonly used formats)
for any location available in the National Climatic Data Center's (NCDC) massive
Integrated Surface Hourly (ISH) archive that contains historical weather records for
around 8,000 international locations (1,500 in the US, 600 in Canada) going back to 1980.
Those interested can e-mail for details.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D