[Bldg-sim] A critical juncture for Modelica/FMI next week

Pavel Dybskiy pdybskiy at ryerson.ca
Fri Mar 9 03:57:24 PST 2012

Per,

It is impressive ... but it sounds too abstract to me to digest.
Can you help me to think about FMI in terms of a BEM (building energy
modeling) task.

For example:
1) There is a  system of ODEs (2 o3 equations), which represents a
simple (say 3R2C or 3R3C) thermal network (TN), which in turn models a
thermal zone.

2) There is another set of equations and inequalities that specifies HVAC
system.

3) There is a given weather file (temps, radiation, etc) which provides
some set of time series variables (1hour sample time) for those ODEs.

4) There are 2-3-4 schedule files, which  specifies other sets of
variables/parameters  ( 1hour - 1day - 1month sample time ) for those
thermal zones and HVAC.

Today I am using Matlab/Simulink to simulate this (1-4) problem.

In case if I need more complex building and HVAC models I may think about
BCVTB(LBNL) (people already do this) to co-simulate various combinations of
E+ and Matlab models.

What role and how can FMI/FMU play in such a game?

Thank you

Pavel

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Per Sahlin <per.sahlin at equa.se> wrote:

> Dear all,****
>
> ** **
>
> There is a meeting of the FMI (www.functional-mockup-interface.org) design
> group Monday and Tuesday next week where most likely the level of ambition
> of FMI 2.0 will be settled. Different application areas have different
> needs and priorities and I think it would be wise to provide some input
> from the building simulation community to this meeting. Let me first give
> some background.****
>
> ** **
>
> The ultimate purpose of equation based simulation and Modelica (
> www.modelica.org) is to enable model exchange between users and tools.
> However, the Modelica language is by necessity a very complex and rapidly
> evolving “beast.” It is essentially impossible to keep tools in good sync
> with each other in their interpretation of Modelica. In practice, this
> means that porting complex model libraries, such as the MSL Fluid and Media
> libraries and derivatives, from one tool to another often involves man
> years of work, if possible at all. This is where FMI comes in. FMI provides
> a means to exchange pre-compiled model units and this can be radically
> simpler than to achieve a common understanding and interpretation of the
> underlying Modelica code. FMI 1.0 has proven this since a number of years.
> However, for our application FMI 1.0 is severely limited.****
>
> ** **
>
> There are three key areas where FMI 2.0 has previously been planned to be
> enhanced in ways that in my opinion are essential to the building
> simulation community:****
>
> ** **
>
> **-          **Introduction of physical connectors (now only direct
> variable-to-variable connections are supported)****
>
> **-          **Support for arrays, the size of which is determined by
> parameters that can be changed after compilation (only scalars in FMI 1.0)
> ****
>
> **-          **Support for sparse analytical Jacobians****
>
> ** **
>
> In the building simulation world of multiple-port tanks and zones, where
> many components are built around  discretized PDE:s, FMI without these
> features is unlikely to become very useful. At the same time the FMI design
> group is facing some seriously conflicting goals:****
>
> ** **
>
> **-          **FMI must not be too rapidly evolving – otherwise much of
> the purpose is lost****
>
> **-          **The standard must not be too complex for vendors to support
> ****
>
> **-          **There is an urgent need to upgrade v. 1.0 to something
> more powerful****
>
> ** **
>
> Therefore, there is a distinct risk that some of the planned enhancements
> of 2.0 are postponed. For reasons of stability, it could take a very long
> time before the next major release.****
>
> ** **

> [...]

Best Regards,

Pavel Dybskiy
M.A.Sc. Candidate, Department of Architectural Science
Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Science, Ryerson University
E-mail: pdybskiy at ryerson.ca;
telephone: 647-984-4940