[Bldg-sim] A Response & Statement on Energy Modeling Services: Meaning and Value

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Sat May 12 14:33:19 PDT 2012

The IIBSE IDP_overview.pdf document attached provides a detailed
framework for planning the energy simulation stages.
We have been using this type of framework, adjusted for the
requirements of each projects, since 2001.  It is difficult to
provide a "typical" fee structure as each design team/owner will have
different goals.
As an example, an averaged sized secondary high school might allow
for 100 hours for the modeling/reporting for the integrated design
process from concept through design development to tender phase.

We rarely provide a fee proposal for final LEED modelling until
project has completed the tender phase.  Too much can change from
final design to final tender documents.

We provide an estimate at the beginning of the project.  The client
is welcome to set a different contract for final LEED modelling.

An averaged size secondary high school would take about 100s hour for
final LEED modelling depending on how much has changed over the
course of the design process.