[Bldg-sim] Solar gains differences between Design Builder and IES VE....

Macdonald, Iain Iain.Macdonald at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Nov 23 08:51:12 PST 2012

David,

I suspect that you are not comparing apples to apples. Intermodel comparisons are generally difficult to complete without a thorough understanding of the inputs and algorithms used in the tools. Its very easy to think you have equivalency in your input models when you do not. You have the added complication in your case that the DesignBuilder interface adds another layer of translation to the problem.

Also note that both simulation engines (IES VE and EnergyPlus) have been through the BESTEST/ASHRAE 140 process as well as many other validation exercises. This should mean that given the same input the output will be similar (within some bound due to different algorithms and implementations).

I suggest that you make a careful comparison of all the inputs and understand how they impact the simulation, then do the same with the output variables that you are comparing.

Regards,

Iain